Kate Harper, MA, Dip. PsyA, PhD, RP
Not currently accepting new clients.
As a Registered Psychotherapist, my goal in working with clients is to provide a confidential space where thoughts, feelings, and life stories and histories can be discussed in a safe and healing environment. I believe the therapeutic relationship is a unique and co-constructed dynamic that affects both the client and the therapist. This co-created relationship allows the therapist to make meaningful reflections on the client’s thoughts, feelings, behaviours, and circumstances, which the client can then refine, correct, reject, and further modify. It is this collaborative therapeutic relationship that facilitates the process of change through insight, meaning making, and making unconscious processes and patterns conscious. Although my education and training is grounded in many schools of psychology, for example, cognitive, behavioural, emotion-focused, and humanistic to name only a few, I specialize in psychoanalysis and psychodynamic therapies, which are specialized forms of therapy in which the therapist and patient work together to increase the patient’s conscious awareness in order to move toward psychological balance and wholeness, and to bring relief and meaning to psychological suffering. The process can treat a broad range of emotional difficulties such as depression and anxiety, and it can also assist anyone who wishes to pursue psychological growth.
- PhD Psychology, York University, 2017
- MA Psychology, York University, 2005
- BA Psychology, York University, 2003
- Diploma – Toronto Institute for Contemporary Psychoanalysis, 2010.
Memberships and Associations
- Professional Member with the Canadian Counselling & Psychotherapy Association.
- Professional Member with the Society for Neuropsychoanalysis.
- Professional Member with the American Psychological Association.
- Registered member with the College of Registered Psychotherapists of Ontario